Early in May an emergency case was rushed to Chollima District People’s Hospital in Nampho City.

The clinical chart reads: Name: Kim Hak Sex: Male Age: 25 Occupation: Worker Symptoms: Second and third-degree burns on 75 percent of the body; 55 percent of the burns are of third degree; and in shock. Doctors of the hospital gave first-aid treatment to the patient as good as dead for two and half an hour. There was held a doctors’ consultation which was in a tense atmosphere from the beginning. At the time Kim Yong Chol, head of the orthopaedic surgery department, encouraged the members of the department, saying, “We can save him without fail if we sincerely treat him like we do our own brother or relative.” In  fact they had rich experience in treating such cases. So the doctors and nurses believed that they could restore him to life on the basis of their experience and sincere treatment. Doctor Kim Rin Song, chief nurse Jo Yong Ok and nurse Won Hyon Ju were put in charge of the patient.

A consultative meeting to save a critical case.

A consultative meeting to save a critical case.

The treatment of the patient was like a battle. It took three hours at a time for all members of the department to dress the wounds. As it got warmer they exerted themselves to observe him. Nobody would leave for home even though it was late at night. They unanimously strove to bring the patient back to life. Four days had passed since they began the treatment in super tension.

Finally the patient was saved from shock. However, his condition was critical as he was in the state of burn poisoning. He was apt to die for he was unconscious with low blood pressure, high fever, fast heart rate, gasping, anasarca and tympanites. Moreover, he was not free from poisoning for over ten days as he had wide and deep burns.

All members of the department spent tight days. To help the doctor in charge of the patient, Yong Chol took measures for raising blood pressure, stimulating the heart, neutralizing the poison and preventing the degeneration of the parenchymatous viscera, and applied ice and boiled onion roots on the burns. The application of boiled onion roots and hot stones on the burns was a combination of modern and Koryo medicines that had successfully treated similar cases.

And they used a burn ointment of their own invention to remove dead tissues and help the wounds skin faster. Then they shed tears of joy at the thought that they were now able to save him.

Fifteen days after the patient was taken to the hospital, he had an operation for skin transplant. The director and other senior officials of the hospital were the first to donate skin followed by members of the department and all other department heads and doctors of the hospital, and over 60 workers of the Chollima Steel Complex to which the patient’s father belongs. It is said all the  donors that day numbered 168. Three days later there took place the second similar operation, and not only members of the hospital but also 200 youth league members in the district volunteered to donate skin. The aforesaid department also put efforts in improving the nutritive conditions of the patient.

After scores of days of tension the patient was finally restored to life with the wounds completely healed unbelievably. Looking at him his parents said, “We never thought he would revive. The doctors and nurses and many other people donated skin for his sake and took sincere care of him. This made me keenly realize that our system and our medical workers are really the best.”

Kim Hak  ( middle ).

Kim Hak (middle).

It totally took 64 days to cure the patient, and it was like a miracle. Asked about the key to the success, Kim Chi U, director of the hospital, said, “Warm love for and boundless devotion to the people—this is the secret of our success. We’ll continue to fully discharge our duty as doctors responsible for the people’s health.” The revived man left the hospital, seen off by its members onthe fourth of July last.

Article: Kim Hyon Ju