The Kuju Wall was built in 994. It is in present Kusong City of North Phyongan Province. Kusong was called Kuju at that time.
The Koryo Feudal Dynasty that existed between 918 and 1392 built the wall in Kuju which was a point of strategic importance in the northwestern region, attaching great political and military importance to the place.
The wall consists of inner wall and outer wall.
The inner wall surrounded the ancient Kusong town and the outer one was attached to the northwest of the inner wall.
There still remain more than 20 of the bastions installed on the meandrous wall along the steep ridges.
Gate sites are found in the eastern, western, southern and northern walls of the inner wall and in the western wall of the outer wall. There is an underground gate linking the inner and outer walls. The Kuju Wall played a big role in repulsing foreign invaders during the Koryo Dynasty.
The Koryo army commanded by General Kang Kam Chan defeated more than 100,000 foreign invaders in Kuju in 1019, and a girl by the name of Soljukhwa in men’s clothes fought in the van of the battlefield on horseback and died in battle. When foreign force invaded in 1231 the Koryo army under the command of General Pak So bravely fought in defense of the Kuju Wall.
The Kuju Wall with such a proud history of struggle is a valuable cultural legacy of Korea.